Here are some sport nutrition tips to ensure that all of you are power fueled before, during and after your physical activities.
1) Choose carbohydrate-rich foods as your best energy fuel. The following foods are chockfull of carbohydrates:
- Breads & Cereals (toast, crackers, granolabars, cereal)
- Vegetables & Fruit (fresh, frozen andcanned)
- Legumes (chick peas, lentils, kidneybeans, hummus dip)
- Milk and Yogurt (plain milk, chocolatemilk, fruit yogurt)
2) Be sure to include food choices that add protein. The following foods pack a protein punch when they accompany your carbohydrate-rich foods:
- Nut butters (Peanut, almond, cashew, sesame)
- Eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese
- Legumes, soy protein, lean cuts of meat, poultry or fish3)
How much you will need to eat and drink before and after physical activity will dependupon your age, weight, height, gender as well as the type, intensity and duration of the physical activities that you will be doing.
For more food ideas: http://www.caaws.ca/mothersinmotion/e/resources/index.cfm